Saturday, January 2, 2010

No Excuses: Adapt and Overcome

It's the Marine Corps mantra of "working through the problem" and given a situation, "adapting and overcome". The Marines are meticulous planners and we do our best to execute a mission. However, we also often say, "Semper Gumby". It's the ability to always stay flexible to the changing situation that can determine the success of a mission.



At points along the way, I get disheartened that conventional methods just don't always work out in new or different contexts. Tried and true ways that fail can cause me to think, "I can't" instead of "How can I punch through this?"

The past year, I grew increasingly frustrated at others who would quit too soon and too easily. One thing I kept hearing was, "No, sorry, I can't. It is impossible", when given some creativity and effort, the situation was actually not impossible.

Looking back on 2009, I realize that my frustration arose out of my own lack of creativity and my own quitter mentality.

Going into 2010, I need a fresh outlook. Sometimes a "fresh take" is looking around at what I have available to me and making the most of it instead of wishing I had something I can't get. That really gets me going, a pioneering spirit. That's why I think I'm a huge fan of MacGyver.



That's the kind of stuff that inspires me, riles me up. The "never quit" endurance and ingenuity that results from thinking that nothing is impossible.

On the physical side, I've really "let myself go" in the past year. Instead of thinking of new ways to work out outside of the conventional gymnasium, I felt lost without the neatly arranged dumbbells. This attitude was accentuated by my 14 day trial at a local fitness club, which was over-the-top: pumping with techno music, walled with mirrors, the latest weight machines and health tonics, all served by perfectly tanned physical trainers. It was "all that I could ask for", except that I grew sick of it. It was too contrived and formulaic... I didn't feel free to work out with the level of intensity and range of motion I wanted to. When in actuality, I am completely free to work out whichever I want to, I just didn't want to accept that freedom to think outside the box.

Adapt and overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment