Sunday, March 6, 2011

open wide

At the dentist's office:

Dentist: "Open wide... looks like you've got a couple of cracked molars, a developing cavity, and there's heavy wear on your teeth. You grind your teeth at night."

Me: "I do? I had no idea..."

Whoa... first dentist visit in over a year and I have a mouthful of goodies to show for it. And all this time, I actually thought I was doing OK. This is the human condition. We just don't know ourselves very well and it takes someone with a bright light, mirror and a fine-pointed tool to reveal the decay.

This past week, after 20-odd years of brushing my own teeth, I actually learned the proper technique of keeping my teeth clean from the dental hygienist. It's kind of like learning to blow my nose the right way for the first time a few years ago. No joke. Mimicry and following examples will only go so far without proper instruction.

That's the only way to get it right - being willing to admit at any given moment that there is a better way than my own. Then opening my life for examination.

I read this verse today and was reminded that I just don't know myself on many levels, and that someone above me, who is in a better position to judge, can make a better call than I can.

Proverbs 16:2
"People may be pure in their own eyes,
but the Lord examines their motives."



Brush twice. Floss. Every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment