Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Working Wednesdays: Co-Workers

A bit of a misnomer, since for now, I have most Wednesdays off from work... but I digress....

Co-workers: Besides my roommates, the people I see most throughout the week.

Usually the first people I see every morning, my co-workers are usually the ones to ask, "How's it going today?" and often the first ones we get to debrief with about what we did last night. "So, what did you last night? What did you do over the weekend?" and bouncing off ideas of what to do next: "What are you up to this weekend?"

I don't think I know anybody who exclusively talks about work-related things at the workplace. Topics of conversation with co-workers include relationship talk, why other co-workers behave(d) a certain way, dreams about our future, explaining how our families are like, why you studied that major in school, describing our hometowns, etc.

The truth is that for most of us we consider life outside of work "real life". So work then becomes this bubble that we desperately try not to mix in with everything else. Work often becomes a departure from "everything else", so it oddly becomes the space in which we can reminisce, reflect and reference our "real lives".

Our relationships with our co-workers may start off as strictly professional, but they usually morph into sounding boards for other aspects of our lives so we can get refocused and re-inspired after work.

The actual work itself can be enjoyable. But even the most enjoyable work - even if it's your "passionate interest" can get old = human nature. That whole, "I love my job! I wake up every morning excited to see what's in store!" .... true - but c'mon now, only on some days.

I had this conversation the other day about the difference between college life and working life (I still live in a college town). Why are college students so fickle and emotional rollercoasters? They're all over the place. It's because their environments are not designed for stability and consistency. That's not necessarily bad - because that makes for the perfect breeding ground for idealism, exploration and creativity.

Something that people get tripped up over in the working life? How structured and mundane and "same old same old" it can get. And one of the key things to getting through the work week? Solid co-workers that you can connect with on a human-level and just be yourself around - especially when your work can make you feel like you're a small gear in a big unrelenting impersonal machine.

What's more important when I'm on a road trip? The actual destination? The weather? Road conditions? Rest stop availabilities? Type of car I'm driving? More than those, it's the passengers I'm with. If life is more about the journey than the destination itself, then what makes for a good journey is good company.

Why do I do what I do? I can say "for God". True. But how did my idea, expression and understanding of God even come into being? Rubbing lots of shoulders with lots of people. Because there were people in my life who got me to where I am today to even allow me to do what I do. Others. It's what keeps me going.

Enjoy and appreciate your co-workers. The reciprocation makes work worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment