Tuesday, February 17, 2009

1 > 99

I forget that I'm a sinner saved by grace. So when I look at an "especially undeserving person"(you know, that kind of person who is uncooperative, unresponsive, seemingly rebellious, stubborn, and just isn't "with the program"?) I easily cast him aside as someone unworthy of my time and attention.

Someone challenged me recently and asked, "How do you see ______ (person's name) anyway? It seems like you've just given up on him and cast him aside."

I've been asked that before about other people, so I started reciting my usual response:

"I have to keep the greater good [greatest good for the greatest number of people even at the cost of a few people] in mind. If ______ compromises the bigger picture, then oh well. I just have to move on. I've committed to God's Kingdom, and His Kingdom is huge. I can't be worrying about the 'bad apples' who fall off to the wayside. It's my job to focus on the people who are willing to cooperate and follow."

I've been growing more and more unsettled with that "standard" response.

Jesus asked Peter three times (in a row!) if he loved Jesus. Peter grew offended and replies in exasperation, "Of course! You know everything! Why are you berating me with this questioning?" (my interpretation).

Jesus' response: "Feed my sheep". No matter how ugly, hairy, sickly, nasty, dirty. Even those weird, gangly, buck-toothed looking ones that smell really bad.

"Feed my sheep" Discipling and loving is not about being picky. "For God so loved the world... and "making disciples of all nations..."

"Feed my sheep". When the whole flock obeys and is cooperative to your leadership. And even when a few start to stray here and there. Still, feed them.

If one strays, what to do? Forget it? Saving the rest of the flock is more important, I say! No, Jesus says: Abandon conventional wisdom and extravagantly love that straying and lost sheep. How? Count my life worth nothing, be willing to risk everything, and get out there to chase after that one sheep:

"What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish" (Matthew 18:12-14). Where in this world is 1 > 99? Only in God's Kingdom.
Jesus did not come for the righteous. He came to call sinners to repentance.

Expect nothing in return.

I have to remind myself regularly:
"If God treated me the way I treat and view other people, I'd be in serious trouble"
I can hardly imagine! God: "Eh, Joe's really not all that. He disobeys me, doesn't trust me, and is just really undisciplined and irresponsible. Do I really want my precious Son to be tortured and killed on the cross for this... loser?"

"...but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8).

God is beyond huge. Bigger, more majestic, and greater than I can imagine. Yet, He values a soul. God numbers the very hairs on my head.

This is the "bigger" Kingdom vision. Not to hurry forth with a sense of urgency to build the biggest, grandest palace and to be the most "successful". The Kingdom vision is taking the time to be Christ to others. God calls us to be faithful, not successful. That's why laying down one's life for another is the greatest love a person can demonstrate. That's exactly what Christ did for all of us. Transforming lives, one at a time.

It's slow-going. But I hold on to an eternal encouragement and hope!

Mighty to Save
by Hillsongs

Everyone needs compassion, a love that's never failing.
Let mercy fall on me.

Everyone needs forgiveness, the kindness of a Savior
The hope of nations

Savior, He can move the mountains.
My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save.
Forever, author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave, Jesus conquered the grave.

So take me as You find me, all my fears and failures
Fill my life again.

I give my life to follow, everything I believe in
Now I surrender...

No comments:

Post a Comment