Monday, February 9, 2009

i (sometimes) get paid/pay to do this

I just spent the whole weekend cross-country skiing and snowshoeing across northern Michigan. I got lotsa food, slept 7 hours a night (which is above average for me), watched three movies, and just hung out with a bunch of guys. And I got paid to do it - just enough to pay off my bills for the month. That's the Marine Corps for ya.

Upon my return to Ann Arbor, I met and trained with some people who share similar callings and passions, and helped cook some dinner for LIFE group. I paid to do this.

For the past two hours I've been catching up with my roommates and checking the oodles of emails I missed in the last three days. The amount of catch-up work from this weekend is frightening - but it's so worth it. Now I'll pay for it.

It's great to hear good news from our brothers and sisters in Christ. And it's definitely a great feeling, albeit humbling, to know that things are fine or even better without me. Investment and trust - fully paid out for the weekend.

I spoke to one of my best buddies recently. He reminded me to pursue my passions - money is always secondary. Ha! This coming from a guy who works in the financial sector with people his age getting laid off left and right. Tough times. And he meant what he said.

I can't believe I get paid to do some of this stuff. And for the stuff I don't get paid for, I'd still do it for free! I'm tired and there's so much to do. But I'm so thankful. As fun, packed, tiring this weekend was and how crazy-busy my week looks, I'm reminded of why I do what I do.

I think I get it more and more... this "heavenly treasure" versus "earthly treasure" thing.
Heavenly treasure > earthly treasure. Definitely. No doubt.

"Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!" - Psalm 115:1

No comments:

Post a Comment