Sunday, February 15, 2009

I refuse

to get a BlackBerry. It's addictive, expensive, further incapacitates my short-term memory (I used to remember all my friends' phone numbers... I now know about 4), and makes me a total social narf-boob.

I say that now... but I said this too about cellphones. I was adamantly against cell phones until I finally caved and got one in senior year of high school. Never got anything fancier than a basic affordable phone plan and text messaging. I recently upgraded to unlimited text because more and more people text. And more and more people are getting text-friendly "mobile devices". (No longer just called cellular phones...)

Cell phone etiquette nowadays is horrendous. What happened to turning off your cell phone during lectures and meals? What happened to walking out of the room to hold a conversation in order to NOT disturb the peace? What happened to just being a responsible person and showing up ontime and maybe actually following up/apologizing rather than texting at the last minute? Really... I forget what we did before cellphones... how would we communicate with each other?

Oh yea, I remember. We were more patient, more flexible, and just stayed after to talk more. Our lives were less interrupted and less cluttered. These are similar concerns people had when television first came out, over 50 years ago. And a couple of decades before that, people were against the detrimental evils of radio. Sigh... the necessary evils of advancements in technology.

And now, BlackBerries. It's crack. It's a drug. People who own them are GLUED to them every minute. It's kinda sad actually. The worst part is I could so see myself getting a BlackBerry. It's only a matter of time.

Not to mention Twitter and Google Latitude. Just scary and really unncessary.

I'll embrace it when the time comes. But I think I'd take vacations from technology. Imagine that... real vacations.

No comments:

Post a Comment