Sunday, January 4, 2009

expansion



Update on NJ:

Time with the family back in New Jersey was good. Being away for a relatively long time (13+ months) made me forget how my family really is and miss out on how they've changed so much. It's like I hit the *pause* button on the Yun family for a whole year and had to hit fast forward to try to catch up to speed. Kinda confused but blessed and thankful.

I spent the first two days back in Jersey with my brother and my dad at a joint youth retreat outside of Atlantic City. I was really blessed to see my little punk brother worshiping at a retreat. I gained a whole new, more positive perspective on Korean churches in America. Not just because of the passion and excitement I saw in 30+ hours, but because of the sincerity of a small group of people who were dedicated to bringing about reconciliation between Koreans and Korean-Americans in churches and dreaming big about its future. I was inspired and had to repent of my jadedness and bitterness toward the Korean church.

My parents celebrated their 25th (aka "Silver") wedding anniversary. Looking at their marriage I see that that kind of commitment is tough; it ain't daisies and butterflies. It's more like rainbows and lollipops. Thank God.

Here's a family picture.

From left to right: Yeri (cousin), Miriam (older sis), me, Yeji (cousin), Michelle (younger sis), Yerim (cousin), Dad, Mom, John (younger bro), aunt

So, I think my stomach expanded and I gained some weight while in Jersey for the past week. All I did was eat and sleep a lot, like 8+ hours a night! My mom has been spreading rumors around the NJ galaxy that her oldest son is starving and sleep-deprived here in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Partly true, but I bring it upon myself(mostly). So my aunt fed me 'til I was about to burst. I think I gained enough flab to look somewhat closer to a more healthy weight, at least for my height.

While I look and seem healthier, I know I'm actually weaker. Physically, I haven't worked out in a month(!!!!!). After about 50-60 pushups my arms give out. Relative to what I'm used to being able to do that's pretty weak-sauce. Much like my spiritual life and just keeping tight hold of my character and integrity, fitness and growth takes devotion, consistency, integrity, and hard work. I've been lacking in all these areas.

That's how I'm feeling entering into the new year. Knowing I should be stronger, more mature, deeper, more ______, but just bloated and weak. I see more and more of my shortcomings and it's humbling and I'm learning a lot about myself, about other people, and about God. Now's a good time for change.

Time to get into shape. Now.

1 comment:

  1. yay! i'm glad you switched to blogspot :)
    looks like you had a wonderful time in nj for the holidays. happy new year joe!

    ReplyDelete